Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Black History Month

The task told us to response visually to the BLACK TRAILBLAZERS.
To create an image I started doing some research in books, on websites about that theme. 

The Black History Month is to remember and appreciate those black people who were suffering and fighting for their rights but also heroes making history.
To find out about different black heroes I looked at the books "Events that Changed the world" and "100 Events that shook our world". 
An example is Jesse Owens, an olympic champion, who made history by winning four gold medals and showing that it is the individual, not nationality creed, that defines a person. This legacy was created because the United States did not support him.
Martin Luther King, Jr. and Barack Obama are also instances for black men who made history.
During my research I noticed that most of the black trailblazers were Americans because back in time America was a country dominated by slavery and racism.
Another source I was looking at was the website "Huffpast & Abc 13 Eyewitness news". That showed me black trailblazers from each state of the United States that add up to 50 different black heroes.






Getting an idea about visual responses and especially black artists I visited the Basquiat Exhibition at the Barbican. 
The Haitian American artist Jean-Michel Basquiat was born in Brooklyn in 1960. He invented the writing poetic graffiti SAMO© which captured the city's attention. Basquiat was interested in various of things like music, poetry, paintings, performances and books that influenced him as an artist. In his art he often responses to diverse topics and expresses his point of view.
His art and lifestyle impressed me and inspired me to think more abstractly when it comes to the response.






Later I started thinking about the past and how black people where treated. I looked at the "Black Codes" which were the stability of slavery and discrimination in the United States. Furthermore white people did not respect black persons as human but only as servers.







Afterwards I jumped to this time area and realized how much effort and strength black trailblazers had to suffer that black people are tolerated nowadays. There is much less racism in the world and black people get treated like whites. In addition there is no segregation in public anymore.
I am really impressed by those heroes and appreciate what they have done for the worlds understanding.







To look at black stars in this time area I researched how many and also who has achieved a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Referring to that 120 African Americans got a star. I recognized that this would be impossible in the past and that black people get treated equally because of trailblazers who fought for their rights and suffered.






Then I started collecting my thoughts to come up with first ideas. I thought about the past and that black people were trapped in their destiny. Brave persons stood up for their rights by showing strength and sacrificing for their fellow men.
I looked at some images which I convey with those aspects like racism, and chains that imprisoned those human. Furthermore I thought that black people were always seen as the guilty party.
At the same time I looked at face expressions that show strength and sadness to convey the felling of black people in the past.
I also liked to include todays current tolerance.



To combine all those thoughts in one image I used a black and white face of a small boy that expresses strength. To stress this aspect and point out to the long and hard journey that black trailblazers had to go I used the word STRENGTH and photoshopped it into the boy's eye. I also used chains that are shortly before breaking to show that there is still discrimination nowadays. To signalize todays tolerance and community I used an image of a globe that is hold by different coloured hands.
I also experimented with this thoughts so I came up with two different images.




I liked the outcome but I still missed the part of celebration and appreciation in it because the reason for the Black History Month is to remember those trailblazers and honour them. I also did not involve my research that I have done in the beginning.
Therefore I brainstormed my ideas again.



This time I looked more to an image which shows appreciation and respect. I researched photos which show freedom, love and victory.
In addition I wanted to underline the fact that black people does not have to hide anymore because they succeeded and earn respect.




To design a visual response on those ideas I used a photograph of a black girl taking off a mask which shows a white girl's face. The crown expresses victory and honour in that image. Because I did not want to miss the earlier aspect of the strength and courage that black trailblazers had to suffer I placed the word "strength" also in this response. Furthermore I chose three different photographs of trailblazers which have done different things to become black heroes.
Additionally I wrote the phrase "No Reasons To Hide" in black tint on the outcome to show respect and their success.



The problem with this idea was that it does not express my first aspects of the long journey and the suffering as much as I wanted.




Later I researched again. I got inspired by other posters that response to the Black History Month. A lot of them uses fists or collages to show different trailblazers.
I liked the aspect of the fist because it conveys strength without words. The collages inspired me to include a lot of different trailblazers in my response.




I created a collage on photoshop which shows some of the Black Trailblazers whom I researched about in the beginning. To include strength, courage and fights I used a black raising fist. Looking at my former designs I resumed the phrase "No Reasons To Hide".









After printing my outcome I was not happy with it because it turned out to be too dark.
Therefore I gathered all my former ideas and my knowledge about black trailblazers and used it to design my final visual response.






I looked at all aspects which were slavery, respect and appreciation, fighting as well as strength and achievements.
I also added a stop sign to it so it would stress the aspect that black trailblazers fought against racism and their past. To bring up the bad conditions of their past I used different written words and a trapped fist which is crossed out. To show the people who succeeded I collaged them on the right side of the image. 
Furthermore I wanted to convey their achievements as central aspect by locating the black girl, taking off the mask, in the centre and writing the words "No Reasons To Hide" in capital and bold letters.




Overall I gained a lot of different knowledge about the past and especially black trailblazers. I learned that it is important to use different sources and experiment. In the beginning I thought of one aspect but I ended up with a visual response that includes the past, journey, feelings and present of black trailblazers.
Additionally I really liked the Basquiat exhibition which I probably would not have visited without this project.

I also learned that it is important to think in different ways about one theme and to have various ideas to come up with an amazing artwork in the end.

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

British Values - Individual Liberty

The country Britain not only stands against terrorism and discrimination but also fights against those issues to protect society. The Prevent Strategy was set up in 2006 by the government to stop people supporting terrorism or becoming terrorists. The strategy is subdivided in three major aspects which are challenging the ideology that stands for terrorism, protecting innocent people and supporting those sectors which have a risk of radicalization. To prevent that young adults or even children turn into terrorists the government developed the Equality Act in 2010 which tackles inequality and prevents discrimination against people with 'protected characteristics' inside public schools. Examples for 'protected characteristics' are the age, disability, sex or sexual orientation, the religion, etcetera. In fact of that the British Values are defined as "democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance for those with differe

Portfolio

Designing a great and unique portfolio is one of the most important things to get into a good university or a job. The main aim is to show the best of my work. Regarding to that it is not just about final outcomes but also about experimentation and variation. A good portfolio reflects you as a creative designer, your knowledge about techniques and you  variety . To show that it is necessary to think about the layout and the typography representing your best works. The placement of your images and the scale of them also needs to be considered to make a good impression.  Basically your portfolio is a vital element that shows  your   ability of  conceptual thinking. This past week I concentrated on designing the most Strong portfolio I could create. To be able to that I was looking at all my work that I have done during the last few month choosing the strongest ones. I included different techniques to show off my knowledge and way of experimenting. Furthermore I included s

Create Your Identity

This project helped me to understand what a brand is and how to develop one. Before I started creating a brand which shows my own personality we had to answer a couple questions in collectives. What is the purpose of a brand? Answering the question a brand creates an identity, makes a company unique and recognizable as well as communicates value and quality to the customer. What is an excellent example of self-promotion and why? The brand NIKE is well known around the world and promises the company's value of their products. Because of NIKE having symbiotic relationships with for example celebrities the brand promoting itself to a wide range of people. Is a brand a company, a product, or a person? Discuss and state why. A brand is everything at ones. Basically is a brand developed as soon as somebody or something owns something. For instance a musician who own its songs. When this person decides to create its own collection a brand starts to grow. How do