Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Typotheque


How can sound influence me for designing a typeface?

The brief ask me to respond to various soundbites though drawings considering shape, form and size. Afterwards I had to look for letters in my recently designed images and produce a range of typefaces.




At first I was skeptical about finding any letters in my drawn sheets. However, I was surprised that I could find the whole typeface in capital as well as lowercase letters in two of my drawings.
Regarding to that I learned that my produced typefaces were responding to the soundbites which I really liked. Furthermore I liked to practice another way of experimentation and came up with a typeface that I would not have designed in any other way.


After that I choose one of my designed typefaces and refined it via Photoshop. Referring to that I added the colours yellow and green which respond to the chosen soundbite that reminded me on the rainforest.
Because of that I learned how to develop my ideas further. I wrote the word RAINFOREST using my designed font style as well as the sentence: " I am Anne from Germany" to get a better understanding of the actual design in some context.




To Design a printed poster advertising an exhibition I thought about the name of the exhibition, a short body text summarizing the it, the date and time of the exhibition as well as the venue.

RAINFOREST exhibition

Explore the diversity and beauty of the Rainforest by looking at various artworks from popular
artists. Submerge yourself in a colourful and peaceful world.

February 2018

Tate Modern, Bankside, London SE1 9TG

Afterwards I looked at some artists to come up with various ideas. I choose to respond to one of David Carson's artworks in which he uses a lot of layers, handwritten letters and different colours because it reminded me on a rainforest which is crowded with trees, bushes as well as animals. I also thought about the layout of my body text which should look like rain or liana. Jean Widmer inspired me with his use of laying out and including a short paragraph.
To transfer my ideas into visual designs I used different techniques such as sketching, handwriting and scanning. To combine all those methods I digitalized my handcrafted images and used Photoshop as well as Illustrator to edit and define them.


 (David Carson)

 (Jean Widmer)



David Carson's use of layout as well as having a background photograph inspired me to design another poster. My typeface reminds on calligraphy and is therefore arty already. Because of that I combined it with a simple font and payed attention to the kerning between the letters which are going vertical and horizontal.


Looking at my outcomes I liked the fact that they look unorganized and crowded as well as they include different colours because that is the message which I wanted to express. 
However, both of my posters are hard to read. One the one hand because of the layers and on the other hand because of the layout of the words.
Referring to the project's brief to design an exhibition poster I think that one important issue to implement with my designs is to have a well readable outcome.
Because of that I started experimenting with those posters to define them by changing the background, looking at different colours as well as the layout of my posters until I was happy with my outcome. 








To have another influence and create various posters which I could choose the best one from I looked at other artists like Jimbo Barbu, Morgane Planchenault and Darya Kobozeva who inspired me to deform my background. Because of the fact that I connect the colour green with the rainforest I used green instead of black as my letter design and orange as my background.
I liked the fact that my design conveys the feeling of something different and unexplored as well as the feeling of an unstructured nature by having an asymmetrical background.
To refine my poster I wanted to use the Risograph to increase the strength of my message and to underline the fact of an art exhibition by using a special print method. Furthermore I thought that the outcome would be more striking.

 (Jimbo Barbu) (Draya Kobozeva)

 (Morgane Planchenault)


My last design is inspired by Joel Holland and his book cover design for the novel "Ice Chorus" by Sarah Stonich. I like the simplicity in his design.
The different paint spots include colours which I am connecting with the rainforest. It also expresses the different artworks and modernity that is shown in my exhibition.

 (Joel Holland)



To evaluate my whole process I am happy with my time management as well as my outcomes. I designed various posters inspired by different artists and defined them. To have a great final artwork I payed attention to the layout, the shapes, spaces and colours of the words and the background regarding to the feelings that I wanted to express.
Looking back at the beginning I was surprised that I could design a lot of posters basing on one drawn sheet of paper responding to a soundbite.

However, I was not happy with my typeface in the beginning because I rather prefer a solid and modern than a calligraphy font style.

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

British Values - Individual Liberty

The country Britain not only stands against terrorism and discrimination but also fights against those issues to protect society. The Prevent Strategy was set up in 2006 by the government to stop people supporting terrorism or becoming terrorists. The strategy is subdivided in three major aspects which are challenging the ideology that stands for terrorism, protecting innocent people and supporting those sectors which have a risk of radicalization. To prevent that young adults or even children turn into terrorists the government developed the Equality Act in 2010 which tackles inequality and prevents discrimination against people with 'protected characteristics' inside public schools. Examples for 'protected characteristics' are the age, disability, sex or sexual orientation, the religion, etcetera. In fact of that the British Values are defined as "democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance for those with differe

Portfolio

Designing a great and unique portfolio is one of the most important things to get into a good university or a job. The main aim is to show the best of my work. Regarding to that it is not just about final outcomes but also about experimentation and variation. A good portfolio reflects you as a creative designer, your knowledge about techniques and you  variety . To show that it is necessary to think about the layout and the typography representing your best works. The placement of your images and the scale of them also needs to be considered to make a good impression.  Basically your portfolio is a vital element that shows  your   ability of  conceptual thinking. This past week I concentrated on designing the most Strong portfolio I could create. To be able to that I was looking at all my work that I have done during the last few month choosing the strongest ones. I included different techniques to show off my knowledge and way of experimenting. Furthermore I included s

Create Your Identity

This project helped me to understand what a brand is and how to develop one. Before I started creating a brand which shows my own personality we had to answer a couple questions in collectives. What is the purpose of a brand? Answering the question a brand creates an identity, makes a company unique and recognizable as well as communicates value and quality to the customer. What is an excellent example of self-promotion and why? The brand NIKE is well known around the world and promises the company's value of their products. Because of NIKE having symbiotic relationships with for example celebrities the brand promoting itself to a wide range of people. Is a brand a company, a product, or a person? Discuss and state why. A brand is everything at ones. Basically is a brand developed as soon as somebody or something owns something. For instance a musician who own its songs. When this person decides to create its own collection a brand starts to grow. How do